Wednesday, 11 May 2011

The things we take for granted.

I find it funny the things you take for granted.  For instance, did you have a shower this morning?  If you did, how long did it take you and did you really have to think about doing it?  I only ask as I had my first shower in just over 2 weeks tonight.  Now before you think I'm a filthy, smelly bint - I have a bloody good reason!  I had surgery just over 2 weeks ago and it's took until now to be relatively safe enough on my feet to risk having a shower.  

Now, I didn't have one alone, not in the true sense of the word anyway.  The dog sat in the bathroom right at the side of the bath, primed and ready to bark and howl should anything happen (that's what I like to think anyway - it's more like she wanted a shower too).  I also had my mobile within reach no matter which way I fell, and certain people on voice activated call, which included the Fire Brigade.

The whole process of having a shower, from start to finish, took 80 minutes!  How long did it take you?  I had to think about making sure I had everything I needed to hand, make sure that the chain lock wasn't on the front door, work out how I was going to get in the shower safely (it's an over the bath job) and get out, how to stand in the shower safely, whether I needed to keep the crutches in the shower with me, would they be safe in a wet bath...the list goes on.  What I didn't think about was turning round in the shower and this is what caused the most problems.  I had to sit on the edge of the bath to turn round as it was safer than twisting or hopping on one leg.    Now that I've got my arse into gear and grown a set, I know that next time I have my shower, it will take a little less time.  Hopefully, it will also result in a less swollen knee and nothing popping out of the joint!  

I have to say, for all the time it took and the logistics of it all, it was worth it to be sitting here now feeling incredibly clean.  Next on my list of goals is to stand long enough to do the dishes in one go, post a certain mans boxes to the Sandpit and maybe even take the dog for a hobble on the beach!


No comments:

Post a Comment