I'm sat on the big brown sofa with a cup of tea in the "keep calm and carry on" mug. The small green lamp is casting big leafy shadows on the ceiling through the bamboo plant and the REME cap badge is gleaming with the light behind it. The dog is sleeping soundly in her bed, and the only sounds are those of the laptop fan gently whirring and the tap tap of my fingers on the keyboard.
It's been a while since I last posted, mainly because I've not really had anything of note to share. The past few days events have generated a whole gamut of emotions, to the point I have to get them off my chest so to speak.
It started with some local crimes being discussed on a Forum that, as usual, ended up being the fault of the Police. I'm not a Police Officer, none of my family are either, but a lot of my friends are. Growing up, my parents always instilled a respect for the Police in us. I still carry that with me. They do a job that the majority of people couldn't do, despite the fact that a lot seem to think they could do better. There were the usual cries of "why aren't they out catching proper criminals instead of the motorist, the easy target" along with people moaning that they always seem to see the Police driving fast "must be the doughnut run". It's surely not because they're actually responding to an emergency call! Then you have the ones that say "well I called the Police and they didn't come to my house for X hours/days" or "they gave me a crime reference number and I've heard nothing from them since".
It's not very often I bite to these comments (it's fighting a losing battle and I would end up being rather nasty), but this particular day I was tired. I was tired because I'd spent the previous night talking with a friend who is a Police Officer about a particularly nasty job he'd had. There was no debrief and Pastoral Care is virtually non existent, so he comes to me. He eventually fell asleep at 0400, after practically crying himself to sleep. To look at him, you'd think he was the missing link - he's a big brute of a man (6' 4" and just as wide), but underneath he's a sensitive soul. I'm one of the few that know this side of him. So I bit to the comments. I had to close the site down in the end as I was getting more and more annoyed with the stupid remarks.
I have quite strong views when it comes to the Emergency Services and our Armed Forces. I'd like to see those that assault members of the Emergency Services or make hoax calls put on a list whereby should they need genuine help, they don't get it! This won't happen though, because no matter what people say, do or think about them, they don't care! All they care about is helping you in your moment of need. But who helps them?
I know there are many members of our Emergency Services that have been injured in the line of duty, but last night, PC David Rathband was found dead. I don't need to tell you who he was or what happened to him. I won't disgrace his name by mentioning the name of the individual that caused his injuries. His death goes to show that members of the Police are actually human! They are just like you and I. Their uniforms are merely clothes. They are not some sort of "magic cloak" that stops them from being affected by what they see and deal with day after day. I know that there are specialist centres that can be used to treat those injured in the line of duty, but surely these need to be extended or "welfare departments" reinstated within the Police service. This will, in my opinion, be needed more as Police numbers are cut and those that are left serving have to deal with even more each shift. Until this is done, I, and many like me, will continue to help and support my friends in the Emergency Services.
If I could wish for anything good to come from the loss of his life, it would be that those in power would recognise that it's not only members of the Armed Forces who suffer with PTSD and offer more Pastoral Care to those that look after us, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. My wish with regards to the public would be that they remember that each Officer IS a person. Instead of being quick to slate or attack them, be quick to support them. You never know when you might need them.
Rest in peace and thank you PC Rathband. May you now find the peace that evaded you in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment